Gallery for Asura is Available: Here
Asura as a Guardian General
|Alias||Asura the Destructor|
God of Wrath
Evil Demigod Who Fell from the Heavens
The Fallen One
General Asura (formerly)
Deity/God (God of Wrath)
|Affiliation||Eight Guardian Generals (formerly)|
|Occupation||Guardian General (formerly)|
|Japanese||Hiroki Yasumoto (安元 洋貴, Yasumoto Hiroki)|
|I understand it all now! The true reason for my wrath! I could not stand it! There is always some fool who wants to rule the world! Always forcing others to do what they cannot do for themselves! That's why I pray to no one! Nor will I be prayed to! But above all else I will never forgive you for making my daughter cry! This is your end!!|
|— Asura to Chakravartin|
Asura (アスラ, Asura) is the main protagonist and titular character of the action beat 'em up game Asura's Wrath. He is the husband of Durga, father of Mithra, and brother-in-law of Yasha. His Mantra Affinity is Wrath. He was formerly one of the Eight Guardian Generals, and the Guardian General of Wrath, who served the Shinkoku Army and the Emperor to fight against the Gohma.
He was framed and betrayed by his seven comrades, who kidnapped his daughter, murdered his wife, and killed and banished him to Earth. But even in death, he was filled with an indelible rage that led him back to the world of the living, to get his vengeance and save his daughter.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 History
- 4 12,000 Years later
- 5 500 Years Later
- 6 870 Million Years later
- 7 Powers and Abilities
- 8 Transformations
- 9 Quotes
- 10 Trivia
Asura is humanoid in appearance, aside from the markings on his body as well as his eyes and arms. He normally has spiky hair that is white in color, and his skin is of tanned complexion. His eyes glow white and although he has irises, he does not have pupils. During his time as one of the Eight Guardian Generals however, he had red eyes and pupils, which returned just prior to his death. Asura wears a torn black hakama trousers with a red flame pattern and a torn golden waist sash hanging. He also wears golden ceremonial greaves with one leg of his trousers tucked into the greave of his right leg and the other leg covering his left leg.
As a member of the Eight Guardian Generals, Asura wore a red and white flame patterned hakama neatly tucked into his golden ceremonial greaves and epaulets on his shoulders. He also wore a white sash.
During his time in training with Augus he wore a brown gi, black hakama, fingerless gloves and wraps on his ankles.
Asura is a hot-tempered, stubborn, and reckless demigod by nature and is known for charging head on at the enemy without a second thought. A powerful combatant and warrior, Asura displays both a strong will and an absence of fear in less-than-positive situations and will fight his adversaries relentlessly until he is victorious. Due to his stubborn nature, Asura rarely accepts the aid of others and prefers to get out of messes on his own. Asura is also shown to be quite ruthless since he had no problem killing former demigod allies and slaughtering countless members of his own former forces in his crusade to rescue his daughter.
However, despite his negative faults, Asura is a good-hearted warrior with a strong moral code and gets angered when he sees an act that goes against his morals. Asura values the lives of the innocent (be they mortal or demi-god) and doesn't believe in sacrificing the innocent for ANY reason (good or evil) as he greatly disapproves of the Gohma's attacks on Gaea, Deus' plan for the world and the Seven Deities' method of collecting Mantra by slaughtering humans. Asura even stated that, "there is no need for gods that only take". Asura was often shown to hate those who value themselves over others, as he is against Augus' philosophy about fighting and one's own pleasure being all that matters in life. Asura is capable of developing strong bonds and perceiving others as friends, despite his wrath. This is proven by his friendship with the mortal girl who accompanies him after his second return from Naraka and by his companionship with Yasha and Augus. Even when subjected to the mindless rage of his Wrath form, Asura possessed enough control over himself to avoid attacking mortals and civilian demigods, instead focusing his rage on the Gohma and the Shinkoku military.
Asura is also a caring family man whether it's outside or within the battlefield. In Chapter 7: A Father's Duty, Yasha states that perhaps Asura keeps in his rage active to protect his family from the ongoing Gohma attacks. Finally, Asura cares deeply for his wife and daughter; Durga and Mithra. He shares a very close bond with his daughter Mithra. Such a bond is so great that upon learning that the Deities had made her suffer after they orchestrated his downfall (literally in Asura's case), Asura killed everyone standing in his way, including the very armies that once revered him. Asura is shown to be in intense pain when he hears his daughter crying. His only real weakness is seeing his daughter cry and wants nothing more than to see her happy and smiling. However despite his parental love, Asura also showed great discomfort and anxiety around his family due to lacking more amicable social graces and parenting skills. He sadly recounted that the only thing he knows how to do is "punch anything that makes Mithra cry".
He also bears an uncannily strong sense of morality beyond simply helping the innocent and punishing the wicked. So much so that he was not one who flexed his divinity in order to garner worship and power for himself like his fellow deities, in point of fact, this facet of his godhood irritated him to no end. So much so that he was visibly repulsed at the mortals he saved from a Gohma attack for bowing down and worshiping him, showcasing a much more humble and down to earth persona than other gods who haughtily used their holy status as a means of getting their way and slaughtering mortals for more power. Asura simply viewed himself as an individual who was above any sense of self-debasing praise, seeing as his only real motivation was wanting his family to be happy, healthy and safe. Not becoming an all-powerful cosmological entity with a severe god complex like Deus, the other Seven Deities and Chakravartin, whom were all entitled to having everything go their way due to their sense of supremacy.
Individuals like these, beings who with absolute power yet bare extraordinary laziness and domineering character, constantly forcing others to do what they cannot do for themselves particularly peak his anger. It's for this reason he never prays to any higher power but at the same time, refuses to ever be worshiped nor prayed to by others. It's this ideology that makes him resent his status as a God or Demi-God, so much so he visibly expressed his ire when the dark fighter Akuma addressed him as such. Showcasing an intensely misotheistic side to his persona, specifically, around the time he fought the Seven Deities. Like with Wyzen who constantly boasted about how Asura should kneel before him if he wanted anything, growing madder and madder at his blustering. Again with Karlow when he non-nonchalantly slaughtered innocent villagers by getting them to sacrifice themselves for him, or Olga when she cruelly slaughtered countless innocent mortals calling her "a god who only takes" culminating in her pushing him over the edge of maddening fury. And finally with Deus, whose lust for power, scheming and domination proved every reason as to why Asura hated his former comrades and status as a deity. Although, it is suggested that Asura is the God of Wrath.
12,000 years prior to the beginning of the game, Asura had a somewhat happy life with his wife Durga and his child, Mithra. He and Yasha were students of Augus and they participated in numerous battles against the impure Gohma. At some point in the Emperor's castle, Sergei, Wyzen and Kalrow confronted Asura and Wyzen tried to persuade him to join Deus' cause, The Great Rebirth, but he declined. Later when his daughter was appointed new priestess, he was outraged and didn't want his daughter to be involved in war.
During a giant battle in space against the Gohma, Asura is angrily dedicated to wiping out the Gohma all by himself. But when Vlitra pops out of the earth and decimates most of the fleet just by opening its mouth, Asura and Yasha are overwhelmed by the attack, and would've died if Mithra hadn't prayed them enough Mantra to survive. Supposedly thanks to the Mantra given by his daughter, Asura becomes strong enough to subdue Vlitra and prevent any more casualties.
After the battle, Asura arrives at his home and reunites with his family, but is summoned to a meeting with the Emperor moments after. Asura walks up to Emperor Strada only to see him shaking and flopping into Asura's arms, with his body cut open. He is mistakenly branded a traitor by numerous Shinkoku warriors witnessing the scene, and even though he manages to escape the chamber, he is surrounded by Wyzen, who takes this as treason and attacks Asura. Despite Asura's pleading for Wyzen to calm down and let him explain, Wyzen doesn't listen. After he manages to defeat the Guardian General, Asura runs across Gaea and returns to his home, only to find Durga fatally wounded. Durga pleads for Asura to find their daughter before dying in his arms, which prompts him to let out a scream of rage and grief. Enraged, Asura finds Mithra captured by the rest of the Guardian Generals. When Asura rushes in, he is attacked by Deus, who he realizes is the true murderer of the Emperor. Deus subdues Asura and plunges him into Naraka. His daughter kidnapped, and his wife killed, Asura is cast down from Heaven by the Guardian Generals, and is now on a quest of vengeance fueled by pure rage.
12,000 Years later
Asura’s spirit awakens dangling from a pillar in Naraka, a realm of the afterlife ruled by a mysterious figure known only as the Golden Spider. Suffering from amnesia, he begins to ascend the pillar as the Golden Spider hints about Asura’s past and what the mortal world has become in his absence. Fueled by his unexplainable anger, Asura breaks out of Naraka and inhabits his body, freeing it after 12,000 years in a colossal explosion from beneath the surface. Asura wanders Gaea, which has become a vast wasteland afflicted with blood red skies and frequent lightning storms, soon after coming across a human village amidst some ruins that is under attack by the Gohma. While Asura rescues the villagers, a capital ship descends to the village and deploys Trastrium warriors led by the former Guardian General, Wyzen.
Wyzen explains that the Eight Guardian Generals disbanded after the coup d'état, becoming the self-proclaimed Seven Deities. Wyzen continues to monologue, but is soon interrupted by Asura's fist, prompting a duel between the two. As they duel Asura eventually activates his Six-Armed Vajra form and Wyzen transforms several times as well, eventually tapping into the Karma Fortress’s mantra reactor to become Gongen Wyzen, a form which increases his size to the point that he becomes as large as the planet. As Asura is about to be crushed under one of Wyzen’s fingers, Asura recalls his entire past, empowering him with indelible wrath. Asura's subsequent concentrated onslaught towards Wyzen's finger is so great that it completely obliterates Wyzen. However, Asura's arms are completely destroyed in the process and, exhausted, Asura falls to the ground unconscious.
Upon awakening, Asura is confronted by Yasha, his brother-in-law, who tells him to move on and to forget about Mithra, mocking him for returning to life and attempting to oppose the Seven Deities. Asura, revitalized once again through his own rage, savagely attacks Yasha despite the loss of his arms. Though he manages to crack Yasha's mask with a powerful headbutt, he is ultimately overwhelmed and literally cleaved in half by Yasha's final attack, being killed and sent back to Naraka a second time.
500 Years Later
Asura is awakened in Naraka by his uncontrollable rage and thirst for vengeance a second time, haunted by the sound of his daughter crying and fueled even further by anger, Asura climbed the pillar again into the mortal world.
500 years after his second death, Asura returned to his body. Petrified in stone at the base of a mountain, a shrine had been built around it by the descendants of the villagers he saved. The remaining humans believed him to be a guardian against the absent Gohma. The Gohma finally attack just as Asura breaks free. A Gohma chieftain kidnaps a girl that was visiting Asura's shrine - a girl who bears a striking resemblance to his daughter, Mithra - prompting Asura to pursue it to the now besieged village.
After defeating the Gohma, a fleet commanded by the Deity Kalrow comes to investigate. As Kalrow taunts Asura’s status as "The Fallen One" from the safety of his ship, the Trastrium warriors begin harvesting the souls of the grateful villagers, who believe being absorbed into mantra is ascending to heaven. After dispatching the Trastrium soldiers directly responsible for harvesting the souls of the villagers, Asura destroys the fleet, crushing a fleeing Kalrow inside his own escape pod.
Crashing into a mountain, Asura is found by his old mentor Augus, now one of the Deities. Augus carries the unconscious Asura to a hot spring, presumed to be Augus' own residence. There Augus informs Asura of Deus' ambitions: Deus wants to achieve The Great Rebirth, an end to the War of Creation that will usher in a new era of peace and prosperity at the expense of billions of humans harvested for the cause of destroying Gohma Vlitra, the heart of the Gohma, once and for all. After recuperating in the hot spring at the attendance of Augus' own personal attendants; Asura and Augus launch themselves onto the surface of the moon for their
final showdown. Evenly matched in hand-to-hand combat, Augus draws his sword, Wailing Dark, and in doing so proceeds to level the moon with the sheer force of his attacks and the length-altering blade. In an effort to finish Asura off, Augus impales Asura upon the fully-extended blade (now longer than Gaea's width), pinning Asura to and piercing through Gaea. As Augus prepares the killing blow, Asura breaks Wailing Dark and, grasping the broken blade by the hilt with only his teeth, uses it to kill an impressed Augus.
Not long after paying his respects to his fallen mentor, a Gohma Striker appears, followed by a horde of other Gohma on the horizon; upon noticing this, Asura prepares for battle again. The girl finds Asura a few days later, once again turned to stone but reviving soon after she finds him. She returns him to the village, presumably to introduce him to her village and family. However, just as they arrive another fleet commanded by the Deity Olga launches a barrage of missiles to purify the land. Asura survives the attack, but finds the girl’s charred body in the rubble. Consumed by fury, Asura goes berserk, transforming into a form known as Berserker Asura, and wipes out most of the fleet within minutes. Distraught that Asura's power has somehow surpassed what took the Deities 12 millennia to gather, Olga commands the now-completed Brahmastra to fire directly at Asura. Yasha tries to stop the firing sequence, but fails to shut it down before Asura is caught in the blast, merely diverting the blast but giving Asura a chance to escape.
Some time later, while Yasha and Sergei are purifying the Gohma and gathering souls from mortals for Brahmastra, Asura, his body burnt and broken by his own rage (a form simply called his 'Wrath form'), carves through Sergei’s ship and disembowels Sergei. With his last breaths, Sergei reveals to Yasha that it was he who kidnapped Mithra, and killed his sister - Asura's wife - Durga, to which Yasha states that he was aware of Sergei’s actions at the time but chose to restrain himself for the cause. Asura then brutally thrusts Sergei to the ground before crushing his head with his foot and begins to attack Yasha. In the beginning of their confrontation, Yasha attempts, in vain, to reason with Asura in an effort to return him to his senses, all the while suppressing his emotions underneath his mask. As the battle wears on, Asura momentarily gains the upperhand, interrupting Yasha's pleas with an attack that destroys his mask. Yasha, now free to express himself, furiously retaliates against Asura; all the while knowing that Asura's wrath will destroy his own body if he is not subdued. Driven by raw emotion, Yasha taps into his own mantra of Melancholy and cracks open Asura’s form, returning his sanity but placing him in a temporary coma.
While in his coma, Asura is visited by the Golden Spider. Despite being regretting by his loss of control, Asura is informed by the Golden Spider that carrying out his revenge and defeating the Gohma is his "destiny". Asura, enraged but awoken, rises and heads for Shinto. He arrives at Deus’ office to find him already in the midst of battle with Yasha. After a lengthy brawl, Deus escapes to the Karma Fortress and commandeers the Brahmastra, to become Sakra Devanam Indra Deus, "the most powerful being in existence". Yasha and Asura battle their way into the heart of the Karma Fortress, all the while avoiding being crushed or vaporized by Deus and the security forces. After a second, furious battle, Asura clashes with Deus and defeats him as Yasha frees Mithra from her incarceration. Before father and daughter can reunite however, Asura and Yasha are interrupted by the sudden reemergence of Gohma Vlitra on Gaea.
Despite the Brahmastra being depleted, Asura and Yasha leave with Mithra’s blessing to face Vlitra. Asura and Yasha battle their way to the "face" of Vlitra, but are overwhelmed by the beast. Mithra, having sensed this, grants Asura the mantra within the Karma Fortress and heals Yasha, transforming the former into Mantra Asura. Now stronger than ever, they manage to force their way into Vlitra's core, the very heart of Gaea, encountering a colossal monster that startlingly resembles Asura’s Berserk form. Realizing that this is the source of Gaea’s wrath, Asura, with the aid of Yasha, slays Vlitra and escapes out of Gaea. As the remaining Gohma are pushed back on the planet below, Asura returns to the Brahmastra to reunite with Mithra, but is interrupted by Olga. Despondent over Deus' death and the loss of her fleet, Olga takes Mithra hostage and threatens to kill Mithra as revenge. She attempts to kill Mithra, but the Golden Spider suddenly appears and kills her, stating that he cannot allow anything to happen to his “vessel”.
The Golden Spider weaves a web around himself and Mithra. Now transformed, he reveals himself to be Chakravartin, the one true god and the "Spinner of Mantra". Chakravartin states that he himself unleashed the Gohma to test the inhabitants of Gaea, in the hope of finding a successor and ending his need to watch over Gaea. Asura sarcastically laughs, and realizes Chakravartin was the one responsible for everything. Furious, Asura ferociously attacks Chakravartin only to find himself severely outmatched, even while in Mantra form. Asura, growing more furious by the second, unleashes his Wrath form in the hopes of saving an imprisoned Mithra. Mithra, sensing that her father will destroy himself if he continued to struggle, launches him off the rapidly deteriorating Karma Fortress and back down to Gaea, requesting that her uncle Yasha, whom of which had already launched after and successfully caught the falling Asura, protect her father.
Asura, after unknowingly having the Mantra Reactor of the Karma Fortress and Yasha's own reactor implanted to him, awakes on Gaea to find a masked Yasha eager to battle him. Though confused, Asura accepts the challenge. The two clash in a flurry of blows, where Asura, thanks to the activation of the Mantra Reactor, gains the upper hand. However, before Asura can deliver the final blow to Yasha, he observes Yasha smiling underneath his mask. Asura halts his attack, but the bandages that covered Yasha's chest were blown away from the force of the onslaught - revealing Yasha's now heartless chest. Asura then realizes that Yasha revived him, and Yasha, now knowing that Asura is at his strongest, dies contented with a smile upon his face. Asura delivers a fist bump to Yasha's outstretched fist, causing Yasha's body to fade away, and paying deep respect to his rival and acknowledging their brotherhood.
Preparing for his final confrontation, Asura meditates underneath a waterfall, seeing visions of the other Deities and reminiscing about Durga, strengthening his resolve and purpose. Riding atop what is presumed to be his own flagship, he heads into space to confront Chakravartin. Chakravartin attempts to destroy Gaea in a single blast, but Asura, with the power of the Mantra Reactor, transforms into a god-like form called Asura the Destructor and deflects it. Asura engages Chakravartin, who again requests that Asura become the new god of the planet only to be rejected once again. The very fabric of time and space begins to come apart as they duel at the edge of Creation for the fate of Gaea. Chakravartin is eventually pressed into his final form, but is brought to his knees by Asura's sheer force of will. As Asura prepares to kill Chakravartin, Mithra breaks free and urges him to stop. Mithra states that if Chakravartin is killed, all the mantra in the world will be forever lost. This will render all of Shinkoku's technology and the power of the demigods useless, including the Mantra Reactor keeping Asura alive. Asura chooses to destroy Chakravartin nonetheless, resigned to his fate and happy to die so long as Mithra can live free from danger. As the landscape around him collapses, Asura shares his final words with Mithra and vanishes, finally free of his wrath.
870 Million Years later
In a post credits bonus scene, 870 million years later the world resembles modern Earth, with Asura, Durga, Mithra and the Seven Deities having been reincarnated into the present day. Suddenly, a giant meteor appears in the sky. Feeling a strangely familiar urge to defend the helpless, Asura stands defiant against the approaching disaster, prepared for battle.
Powers and Abilities
Asura is an elite demigod warrior and former Guardian General, also being previously trained by Augus, a former Guardian General who became one of the Seven Deities. Asura is one of the most powerful (if not the most powerful) beings in the universe. Some of his most remarkable skills and powers are:
- Master Hand-to-Hand Combatant: Due to his extensive training as a soldier and a member of the Eight Guardian Generals, Asura is an extremely proficient combatant and one of the most well-accomplished fighters in the story. Asura was Augus' student and protegé during his training days. Unlike more refined and technical fighters like Yasha or Augus, Asura deploys little finesse and technique in his fighting style (though he demonstrated a degree of martial arts and high acrobatic skills on multiple situations). Asura's particular method of fighting involves unarmed combat with pure aggression and brute force, often neglecting the use of weapons. Armed with centuries-worth of battle experience, unlimited power and rage has made Asura a force to be reckoned with, even against such forces as the Shinkoku Army and formidably skilled warriors as Yasha, Augus, Deus and even Chakravartin itself, outfighting those same powerful foes. The years of training and combat have allowed Asura to adapt to his opponents and easily read their moves, and thus, allowing him to effectively counterattack with relative ease. Asura is also capable of taking on numerous opponents at once, and can overwhelm foes even if they are armed or larger than himself. On numerous occasions, Asura has demonstrated significant coordination and dexterity in combat, as well as the ability to fight without his arms, resorting to kicks and headbutts.
- Absolute Speed, Agility & Reflexes: Although not as outstanding as his strength, Asura is still one of the fastest and agile beings on the universe, and it's theorized that Asura's speed is on a relativistic level by the way he was flying across space, and also whilst fighting Ryu, by going from the Earth to the Moon in roughly 10 seconds. At regular speed, he was incredibly faster than a human, making him untreacable by the human eye. His reflexes are incredibly sharp, enabling him to effectively react, dodge, block and counter attacks from insanely fast enemies in less than a second with great agility, and even from opponents seemingly capable of stopping time such as Chakravartin. He has also been seen able to easily keep up with Yasha despite his particularly extremely high speed and agility in battle.
- Absolute Durability & Endurance: Another one of Asura's most prominent features: Asura has undergone a monstrous amount of mental and physical stress and has managed to survive: He has been punched, kicked, crushed, beaten and blasted by beings of similar power; he has been crushed by Wyzen's colossal finger which weighed billions of metric tonnes; he has been impaled by numerous spears simultaneously and even Augus' Wailing Dark; he has survived falls from orbit; he has lost his arms on several occasions and displayed no signs of discomfort; survived enormous beams of mantra that were visible from space with only minor to no injuries; survived a direct hit from the Brahmastra; and resisted blows from the maker of reality, Chakravartin, who at one point even ruptured its own arm when delivering a hard punch on Asura as a consequence of Asura's extreme physical durability. Asura has also shown to be able to survive attacks with Planet busting capabilities such as Gohma Vlitra's energy beams, Wyzen's finger and even The Brahmastra. In addition to his immense durability, Asura has also demonstrated a strong resistance to sheer blunt trauma, as physical blows from extremely strong opponents such as Augus, Deus and Chakravartin have little-to-no effect against him. In terms of psychological wounds, Asura has suffered an indelible amount of emotional stress, since his wife was murdered by his fellow comrades who cruelly betrayed him, his daughter being kidnapped and a girl who accurately resembled her being killed in front of him, witnessing villagers die, meeting the one who caused all of his anguish and suffering, and losing his "brother" Yasha and his own life later on by sacrificing himself.
- Absolute Stamina: Asura possessed an immensely high amount of stamina, likely due to his demigod physiology and abilities, and his own rage. It's likely Asura possessed near-limitless stamina, as he has never shown to tire out and is capable of fighting extremely powerful opponents and armies, and fight very prolonged battles continuously. On one occasion, Asura continued to fight Oni even after 500 years had passed.
- Indomitable Rage: Asura's most predominant quality, befitting his name and mantra affinity, is his undying and peerless fury at those whom enrage him. His extreme temperament born from the betrayal of his comrades, the suffering of his beloved daughter, following the death of his loving wife Durga coupled with the eternity of human sacrificing at the hands of tyrannical higher powers who scheme and manipulate for their own selfish gain. While the betrayal of the Seven Deities and the kidnapping of Mithra intensified Asura's emotions and wrath to terrifyingly immense degrees, Asura had already possessed a hot-headed personality and harbored an unnatural, unruly anger on a daily basis during his time as a Guardian General, which would only get more intense when he was in battle. As a result of his wild and extremely intense anger, Asura is known to have immense anger management issues. Asura's uncontrollable wrath catapulted his already tremendous power to unprecedented, if all but inconceivable degrees. Asura's rage and wrath are of immeasurable levels, allowing him to reach statuses and kill entities beyond comprehension. Asura's unadulterated wrath earned him the title of "God of Wrath" by Akuma.
- Fist-Channeled Blasts: One of Asura's most prominent uses of mantra include producing fist-channeled blasts of varying size and power, along with possessing homing properties. Asura is able to fire blasts in rapid succession. On one instance, Asura unleashed a devastating omnidirectional barrage of blasts that wiped out an armada of ships in seconds.
- Mantra Burst: Asura is able to stockpile exceedingly high amounts of mantra in his fist and release it afterwards when striking his target as a massive wave-like burst of mantra that is powerful enough to severely damage or even defeat opponents with extreme scales of resistance and durability such as Deus and Chakravartin.
- Flight: Asura possesses the ability to fly at incredibly high speeds by releasing Mantra from his body.
- Immortality: Like all other demigods, Asura possessed immortality and was unable to age. He was stated to be 28 in body and mind, but would not age and his lifespan was infinite thanks to Mantra and his demigod physiology. This is further proved when Asura was alive even after twelve thousand years. Furthermore, he could also survive in areas such as outer space or the moon without any form of discomfort. Asura couldn't be killed by conventional methods, but he can be destroyed by other deities and the Gohma.
- Self-Resurrection: Asura is the only demigod who demonstrated the ability to revive himself after death, having died several times throughout the story's events and returned to life through sheer rage, determination and thirst for vengeance not letting his physical body and spirit die, which led him back to the world of the living angrier and stronger than before. What separated Asura from the rest of the demigods was his rage that fuels his body, his connection with the Golden Spider, and the sound of his daughter crying. Those are the reasons why he refuses to die. However, while Asura can resurrect himself, this takes an undefined amount of time ranging from several hours to even thousands of years.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Asura also seemingly possessed an advanced regenerative ability that allowed him to heal from injuries and regain his arms if they were destroyed.
- Indomitable Will: Asura has displayed an incredible force of will throughout the story, with the main goal of saving his daughter Mithra. This strong willpower allowed him to push past his limits and persevere several times, even revive after death via his sheer indomitable will, and destroy every god in his way including defying and slaying the all powerful God of Mantra to save his daughter and make her smile again.
- Soul Manipulation Resistance: Even though Asura's soul was sent to Naraka multiple times he still came back.
- Existence Erasure Resistance: Asura could easily resist Chakravartin's Reality Warping and Existence Erasure and even defeated Chakravartin The Creator who could control all aspects of reality itself.
- Reactive Evolution: Asura possesses an ability to adapt to his opponents that allows him to surpass stronger opponents, no matter how powerful they are and regardless of their Higher-Dimensionality.
Asura's most commonly seen form, it is a form where Asura's arms are coated in a golden metallic armor. Through the Mantra activation within his body he is able to metalize his arms through the power of his Wrath Mantra and increase their strength, durability and making them more suitable for combat. Asura's mastery of this form is most prominent in the fact that Asura is rarely seen outside of this form. Asura releases powerful mantra energy blasts from his fists and on one occasion created a powerful dome of energy that knocked away his enemies. When he lost his arms to Augus, he managed to create an enormous arm of mantra that utterly destroyed the Gohma he was fighting, which could break into a catastrophic meteoric rain of fist constructs. Before fighting Deus, Asura created a smaller version of his mantra arm before stopping and thinking of Mithra due to Deus influence.
Unlimited Mode (Trikaya)
When Asura activates this mode, the markings on his body emanate a bright orange light due to the mantra flowing through his body. While in this state, Asura becomes invulnerable to any kind of attack or damage, his strength and power are augmented, and his stamina is virtually unlimited, which prevents him from overheating. In game this lasts a short time, but during the final fights with Yasha and Chakravartin he is in this form almost indefinitely.
Six-Armed Vajra Asura
Asura achieved this form during his first encounter with Gohma Vlitra 12,500 years ago, using Mithra's divine power. This form is identical to Vajra Asura but with the addition of four golden metallic arms sprouting from his back, which granted him much higher degrees of strength and power. This form requires more Mantra and can be activated when Asura is sufficiently angered. Understandably capable of decimating opponents with ease, Asura has defeated Wyzen in his Gongen form by stopping and lifting Gongen Wyzen's finger (which had a volume of thousands of miles) and ultimately obliterate him by punching his finger repeatedly and with devastating force, defeated his former master Augus, Deus (with assistance from Yasha) and even managed to subdue the Gohma Vlitra single-handedly, accomplishing all of these feats in this state and partially in his normal Vajra state. In this stage the mantra blasts, shock waves and other mantra based attacks are multiplied and empowered. During his fight with Ryu, when Asura launched him to the Moon, upon impact with the surface of the Moon a massive spiral-shaped pillar of mantra was generated, sending shockwaves along the surface.
When Asura's anger and wrath reaches its peaks, he undergoes a transformation into a being of pure and absolute rage with no sense of reason nor control. First witnessed in Episode 12: "Gods of Death" after the death of Ahria. This traumatic event triggered a transformation as his anger exceeded any controllable means. Described as a feral, golden-coated devilish beast armed with razor-sharp claws, Asura can generate four enormous additional phantom arms made of concentrated Mantra from the portals on his back. The arms, including Asura himself, are capable of releasing inconceivable volumes of Mantra; even Asura's screams produced gigantic booming shock waves. Berserker Asura was threatening enough to decimate an entire Shinkoku armada and challenge the Brahmastra directly. Although unbelievably powerful, Asura was eventually subdued, although it should be noted that he retained the ability to generate the Berserker's Mantra arms in his Vajra form. This monstrosity like form has such absolutely overwhelming levels of mantra power, that it gives Asura the ability to project colossal beams capable of momentarily rivaling The Brahmastra, pulverizing waves that reach the Earth's orbit and massive spheres of mantra that would burst into an explosion similar to a small supernova, which could eradicate hundreds of thousands of ships across the Earth's orbit. It's unknown if he can access it any more as the Brahmastra's cannon turned him into Wrath Asura, a burned and subdued state of it.
The Wrath form is the sundered state of Asura's Berserker form after surviving the Brahmastra's Mantra cannon. The damage sustained rendered him incapable of regenerating the extra Mantra Arms and left his body scorched black. As Wrath Asura, his body becomes unstable and cannot contain the sheer volumes of Mantra his anger generated, causing gradual decay and eventual death. Although not nearly as powerful as its full powered state of Berserker Asura, it's still fearsome and strong enough to annihilate large groups of Gohma in seconds, and induce a wave of fear and dread in a vast radius. While attacking in this state caused more harm to Asura than his enemies, he was still capable of killing Demigods and Sergei in a single claw attack, and fighting Yasha before being forced back into his normal form. Interestingly enough, Asura retains some level of consciousness while in this form, as evident when he was capable of attacking those with a connection only to the Seven Deities or the Gohma (instead of innocent lives) and also able to hear and respond to Mithra during his first encounter with Chakravartin, though this was more likely due to his emotional connection to Mithra.
During the final assault on Gohma Vlitra, Asura achieved his highest degree of power. After being bathed in the Mantra released from the Brahmastra by Mithra, Asura becomes Mantra Asura. In this state, Asura's rage is at its most focused, harnessing the excess Mantra into power and greatly augment the size and armor of his arms to hulking, armored proportions. Each of these arms possess the strength of a thousand arms, consequently augmenting his destructive strength and power massively, and the ability to vent giant jets and bursts of Mantra of tremendous power. Along with the peerless increase in destructive capabilities, these arms are also able to project mantra in a propulsor like manner that grants Asura drastically enhanced maneuverability and velocity: on his Mantra form, Asura was fast enough to avoid and outrun hundreds of Vlitra's laser attacks launched simultaneously, and a volley of Chakravartin's extended arm attacks. In this state, Asura (along with Yasha) was able to defeat Gohma Vlitra and the Vlitra Core. Asura also transforms into this state to fight against Oni in the second Lost Episode. Despite the ingame footages calling this "Mantra Asura", the illustrations from the game reveal the name "Prajñā Asura". During his fight with Oni, both blew the Moon apart by merely clashing, further showing their power.
Six-Armed Mantra Asura/Destroyer Asura
Upon entering Chakravartin's event horizon, Asura took on this form. It is essentially the bulkier version of Six-Armed Vajra Asura, though incredibly more powerful (fundamentally the Six Armed version of Mantra Asura, due to having the same identical arms, albeit 4 more). This form is capable of manifesting a halo to release rainbow colored blasts of mantra which explode after a few seconds, and above all, it is powerful enough to damage and rival Chakravartin.
Mantra Reactor Asura
After Yasha goes to the ruins of the Karma Fortress, he rips out the Mantra Reactor from the middle of the ruins and implants it into Asura's chest. After Yasha is killed, the Mantra Reactor absorbs his Mantra to gain its full power and potential. It allows Asura to channel as much power as he needs into it and absorb any amount of energy without the risk of death, and he will no longer turn into his Berserker or Wrath forms because his anger can no longer destroy his body. It allows him to use his power in even stronger ways than ever, augmenting his abilities to levels never before seen, even in his most basic state. Asura's body constantly gives off a powerful glow when using this form and his attacks release a multi-coloration of Mantra Energy due to the Mantra Reactor containing all the Mantra Affinities. The game's illustrations call this form "Mantra Asura", despite the in-game footage calling the six bulky-armed Asura "Mantra Asura".
Asura The Destructor
After Yasha fitted Asura with the Mantra Reactor, Asura's body became capable of safely harnessing any amount of Mantra he could generate. When Chakravartin attempted to destroy Gaea with a powerful blast of Mantra, Asura stood in front of it and took the brunt of the attack, assuming the form of The Destructor. In this form, Asura becomes larger than Gaea itself, dwarfing it, his skin becomes grey-colored and he manifests six arms identical in appearance to those of his Mantra form. In this form, all of Asura's abilities and overall power were immeasurable and godlike in status, as during his battle with the Mantra God, his blasts destroyed multiple stars and planets and he was able to punch a planet at least a hundred times bigger than him to the point where he pierced all the way through it. In addition, Asura in his Destructor form was capable of enduring planets and even stars thrown at him with only sustaining little damage. It is also theorized that Asura left the solar system in a matter of seconds, thus making him vastly faster than the speed of light.
870 million years pass, Asura, along with his family and former comrades, is reincarnated in a Gaia resembling more modern day Earth. Looking more human, Asura's attire was a simply green muscle shirt and pants. While he was shown to still have his love of fighting (much to the chagrin of the reincarnated Durga), it wasn't truly shown if he still had his more demigod powers of his previous life.
- "Save the world by turning the souls of humans into Mantra? Was that the best you could think of? You and your worthless cause?!! How dare you make Mithra suffer for your own gain!! You will pay!!"--To Deus
- "I don't know how to save the world. What I do know is if I save Mithra this hell will finally end!!"--To Deus
- "Let her go! I said let her go!"--To his former comrades
- "I will have my vengeance!"--To his former comrades
- "I know how you feel."--To Ahria
- "I am nothing like you!"--To Augus
- "You talk too much!!"--To Wyzen
- "You think too much!"--To Yasha
- "It's over, old man!"--To Augus
- "I am nothing like you!"--To Augus
- "I will destroy you and your so called world!!"--To Chakravartin
- "There is no need for gods that only take, for gods of death!!"--To the Seven Deities
- "12,000 years and nothing has changed!!"--Asura after returning to Gaia from death
- "(Laughs) He is the one..He is the reason for it all!!! You..You're the one I should kill!"--To Chakravartin
- "Then I will break everything! Including this living hell!" -- to Yasha, after the statement "You are a fool that only know how to break things!"
- "You idiot...You were always a brother, never an enemy."--To Yasha after his death
- "I don't know what to do when she cries. The best I can do is punch anyone who makes her cry."--To Durga (about Mithra)
- "I understand it all now! The true reason for my wrath! I could not stand it! There is always some fool who wants to rule the world! Always forcing others to do what they cannot do for themselves! That's why I pray to no one! Nor will I be prayed to! But above all else I will never forgive you for making my daughter cry! This is your end!!"--To Chakravartin
- "I..I couldn't bear to see you suffer. No more crying. Smile. My wrath... is finally... gone. Durga...I'll be home...soon."--To Mithra (Last Words)
- Asura was the third youngest out of the original Eight Guardian Generals.
- Asura was the newest of the recent roster of Eight Guardian Generals
- Asura bears a striking resemblance to the Street Fighter character Evil Ryu, due to them both having red irises, tanned skin, spiky hair and their consistent aggressive face, unlike Evil Ryu, Asura is very compassionate towards his family and humanity and is a Demi-God, while Evil Ryu is a cold-blooded Half-Demon.
- Asura has used a move very similar to the Shoryuken when fighting a Gohma turtle.
- In Hinduism, Asura or Asuras is the lowest ranking deity, often associated with various negative emotions such as violence, rage and anger. The Asuras are powerful demons or deities who are described as "enemies of the gods/devas", and they often seek power. They are also described as "evil spirits" in some ancient texts. The name "Asura" also means "demon", "powerful", "mighty", "divine" or "anti-god".
- In Hinduism and Buddhism, the Asura are portrayed with various faces and arms, also being constantly angry and wantonly violent, seeking fights wherever they can. They are most notably portrayed as having three faces and six arms.
- Asura's Mantra manifests in the form of his golden arms. After mastering his mantra, his arms were covered up to his shoulders in gold. Also, whenever he grows angrier or is empowered by mantra his arms react, such as during the final confrontation against the Vlitra when Mithra grants him all of the Mantra in the Karma Fortress, transforming him into 'Mantra Asura'. The only exceptions are when he resurrects after 12,000 years and during the final battle against Chakravartin, as only his hands and partially forearm were covered in gold due to him being in a damaged state.
- While it is stated that the Eight Generals were of the select few demigods able to power up to their level, Asura has the most transformations of all the demigods on Gaea. Not counting his state during his training with Augus, Asura undergoes six different transformations/manifestations of his Mantra (Wrath) throughout the course of the story. Also to point out is that he also bears two halos (seen in episode 1 and 18) one for Vajra Asura and the other for Mantra Asura. To stop confusion between the Asura's Mantra and Destructor forms, Destructor is actually an upgraded Mantra form as shown bearing the same arms as Mantra Asura only six this time and the fact that they both share the same halo.
- When Asura transforms into his berserk form, he bears a great similarity to Naruto's four-tailed form in both physical appearence and personality, in which both were transformed due to them being consumed by their own rage. This is due to CyberConnect2's development with the Ultimate Ninja Storm series.
- It is also notable that he bears a noticeable resemblance to Haseo's B-st form from the.Hack// G.U Trilogy movie, another project by CyberConnect2. It is believed that the character concept was incorporated into Asura's character design.
- Asura, upon the games release, has been named the new " God of Multiple Arm Attacks, Fighting The Heavens Above, and Rage That Can't Ever Be Stopped." on tvtropes, usurping Sweeny Todd in the category of rage and vengeance. The page humorously states "To this day, no one dares to speak about it, as it was not pretty. Even most of the other violent deities in the house hid in terror after it happened."
- Asura will appear alongside other Capcom characters in the upcoming social game, Minna to Capcom All Stars.
- The fact Asura's power increases in tandem with his rage makes his power mechanics the same as the Incredible Hulk from Marvel Comics.
- Asura's Berserker and Wrath forms are his only transformations which he can't activate his unlimited mode
- Necalli from the Street Fighter series is similar to Asura
- Both of them have a savage way of fighting.
- Necalli's V-Trigger in Street Fighter 5 has him glowing similar to how Asura glows when he's in unlimited mode.
- Both of them have also grabbed their opponents' faces and has also dragged them while they're on the ground.
- Both of them are somewhat gods; in Asura's case, he's the God Of Wrath while Necalli is the Emissary of the Gods.
- Both of them are also known for getting stronger when angered.
[[Category:Eight Guardian Generals