Gallery for Sergei is available: Here
Eight Guardian Generals (formerly)
|Occupation||Deus' Right Hand|
Guardian General (formerly)
|Japanese||Nobuo Tobita (飛田 展男, Tobita Nobuo)|
Sergei (セルゲイ, Serugei) is one of the Seven Deities. His mantra affinity is Vanity. He is voiced by Steve Blum in the English version and Nobuo Tobita in the Japanese version of the game.
AppearanceSergei resembles a young man with long, light purple hair and is decorated with symbols and markings on his skin
and body, much like some of the other Demigods. His flamboyant attire resembles that of a royal prince, as he always mentions "fine taste" when talking about various things. To prove this design scheme further, his hair, accessories, and clothing feature a purple and gold theme, which are recognized as colors assigned to certain royalty.
Sergei is an extremely effeminate demigod with a penchant for referring to things with a sense of beauty or hideousness depending on his sense of taste. The aspects of destruction excites him the most due to his belief that "true beauty" is seen in destruction. He took joy in watching humans die for the sake of pleasing the gods and took a sadistic pleasure in performing "purifications" for the cause, emphasizing the sociopathic side to his personality. Even while dying, despite his surprise at the sight of Asura, he marvels at the sight of Asura's rage at the behest of his own life, calling it exquisite and emphasizing how insane he truly is. He is also extremely vain and narcissistic, as he describes that an opponent being killed by him should consider their death an honor of the highest calibur, despite their "hideousness". Out of all the characters in the game, he is probably the most mentally unbalanced, due to his nature as a sociopathic sadist. Hints were given that Sergei is the God of Vanity.
Sergei was born in Shinkoku Trastrium to wealthy family and joined the Shinkoku Army as to seek inspiration for his compositions of art despite his disinterest in combat. He eventually became one of Eight Guardian Generals and together with the other Generals they fought the dark forces of the Gohma. After the defeat of the Gohma, Deus ordered Sergei to kidnap Mithra and kill Durga. While Asura was facing off against Wyzen, Sergei murdered Durga and brought Mithra to Deus.
12,500 Years later
Sergei still served as Deus' right-hand man and commanded his own fleet. Sometime after Kalrow's and Augus' deaths, Deus ordered Sergei and Yasha to go to Gaea to purify the corrupted Gohma forces. After they destroyed the Gohma corruptions, Asura destroyed Sergei's fleet and appeared before Sergei and Yasha. Seeing Asura's new Wrath form and powers made Sergei scream with terror but Asura slashed through Sergei's body, wounding him badly. Asura grabbed Sergei's head and Sergei mocked Asura and Yasha about the destruction of their loved ones. After explaining the details behind his treachery, Asura in a fit of rage, proceeds to smash Sergei into the ground and kills him by stomping on Sergei's head, crushing it.
Sergei was later reincarnated into a modern world where he became a famous pop star.
Powers and AbilitiesGohma with one hit stating it as a mere exercise. Aside from his ability to "reap" the souls out of numerous dead bodies at once, most of his powers are unknown, as he was slain by the then Wrath Asura before more could be revealed on his abilities.
- "Consider it an honor to be purified by someone with such grace. That's what I would say, if any of you Impure had any brains (Pause) Hm-mm-mm. This is the only chance for you filth to shine!" --To a group of Gohma creatures that Sergei slaughters
- "Oh, how beautiful life is at its end. True beauty only manifests itself in death." --To Himself while observing a battle
- "Olga, sometimes I wonder if you know me at all. Have you forgotten that I am most concerned when the beauty of destruction is before me?" --To Olga
- "Not bad, Asura. That uncontrollable rage of yours suits you well." --To Asura before his betrayal
- "That melancholy face of yours truly suits you the most." --To Yasha
- "Ah, you see how they willingly part with their souls to please their gods?" --To Yasha
- "Well that was quite entertaining. So dedicated to the cause. So earnest in our fight to 'save the world'. There is nothing more beautiful than fighting for this cause." --To Yasha and Deus about Olga's and Deus' belief in the Great Rebirth
- "Before the mortals are devoured by the Gohma, we purify their souls and turn them into our power. This is nothing new. It's the same thing you've been doing for the past 12,000 years. You just fought a meaningless battle. How ugly." --To Yasha
- "Magnificent! This is the rage I've been searching for...How exquisite! Beauty! Pure Beauty! Your wrath is glorious, Asura! (Laughs) What fuels your wrath? Was it the loss of that woman? Oops, how careless of me. Ah, but the cat is out of the bag now, as they say. 12,000 years ago, when he was branded a traitor and hunted down, where do you think I was? Yes,..who do you think took Mithra? Who do you think I took her from? (Laughs) Yes, it was I! I killed your precious sister! --To Yasha (and Asura) about his role as the murderer of Durga and his fascination with Asura's power
- "Oh? How boring. I thought you would show me a more beautiful face than that.(Pause) I see. So you chose the cause over your own sister. Bravo! You deserve a treat! Loyal dog of Deus! So you too see the beauty in the death of your family. (Laughs)" --To Yasha (and Asura) as his last words
- He bears a resemblance to Kuja from Final Fantasy IX.
- His narcissistic and psychotic nature and personality is similar to Vega (Balrog In Japanese) from the Street Fighter Series.
- His character is also possibly an homage to Endrance from .hack//G.U., another series produced by CyberConnect2.
- According to the Guardian Bios of Asura's Wrath, Sergei's hobbies and habits mainly include looking at art, moon-viewing, dancing, and composing and listening to music.
- Sergei's name is derived from the Italian name 'Sergio', as well from the Russian name 'Sergei' (Sergius in Latin) which is translated as servant/attendant or "the high one". This title connects to Sergei's placement as Deus' right-hand man.
- Sergei is the youngest of the Seven Deities.
- He seems loosely based on male lunar deities, such as the Hindu Chandra, with his crescent-like halo and insanity.
- Sergei is the only person who is confirmed to have the same name when reincarnated, as indicated by the billboards with his name and picture on them.
- It's very likely that Sergei is into men, as he considers Asura and Augus "an object of beauty". The way he acted towards Asura( pachinko version ) also supports this.
- In his interview (Tribute magazine), when asked about what "beautiful" thing did he experience recently, Sergei admittedly said he has confessed his love to Yasha (to which Yasha wasn't too happy about).